Under the Uniform Schengen Visa, Transit Schengen visa only issued for those who are passing by a Schengen member country in order to get to their final destination. This visa is included in A category which is designed for those who have to stop and wait for their next flight. If someone with transit Schengen visa planned to wait outside the airport means they have exceeded the limitations. This visa is applicable for the travelers who are just transiting in the Schengen territory and that person will not leave the transit area of the airport. You will need transit Schengen visa if there is a change in your flight and you are going to wait for several hours at the airport’s international transit area. During your transit, you may not go outside the airport territory. If you need to stay overnight in the hotel outside the airport you will need a regular tourist visa.

Countries susceptible for transit Schengen visa

transit Schengen visa

transit Schengen visa

A great number of citizens usually do not have to obtain this type of a visa, however, citizens from certain countries are obliged to obtain one. The countries are:

  1. Afghanistan
  2. Bangladesh
  3. The Democratic Republic of the Congo
  4. Eritrea
  5. Ethiopia
  6. Ghana
  7. India
  8. Iran
  9. Iraq
  10. Jordan
  11. Lebanon
  12. Myanmar/Burma
  13. Nigeria
  14. Pakistan
  15. Somalia
  16. Sri Lanka
  17. Sudan
  18. Syria
  19. Turkey

The most common occasions when Schengen transit visa can or can’t be applied

Schengen transit visa

Schengen transit visa

The first common case is what will you do if you are foreign citizens and you will transit through an airport in a Schengen country to travel to another airport in another Schengen country? Your final destinations are still in a Schengen country means you will enter the Schengen zone. Because entering the Schengen zone, you will be leaving the international transit area of the airport at some point. In this case, your transit Schengen visa is useless and you will be requested to have an entry or short stay visa in “C” category.

The second case is you will transit through a Schengen country airport to go to the Non-Schengen country, but you do not leave the international transit area in that Schengen country airport. For this case, you do not enter technically the Schengen area since you are staying in the international transit area. Thus, you do not have to acquire a visa for short stay in the Schengen country.

The third case is you will travel from a Non-Schengen country, transiting through the airport of Schengen country to get to your destination in a Non-Schengen country. In such case, you will leave the international transit because of several reasons. First, you have to change the airport within the Schengen country pitch stop. Second, you will need to spend the night in the hotel of the Schengen area because the connecting flight will leave tomorrow. Third, in case you want to continue traveling to your destination through another kind of transportation from the Schengen country. Because you will leave the international transit means you have to obtain the Schengen short stay visa of “C” category. The short stay visa will allow you to enter, reside and travel within Schengen area for the specific amount of days, usually three months.

The fourth case if you are holding the official passport, a different set of rules and regulations is applied. Official passport means the passport which officially from government designated to a person who brings official duties, for example, a diplomatic passport. A person with the official passport may contact the embassy or consulate of the designated country to get clear instructions.

Basically transit Schengen visa only applicable when its holder does not leave the international transit area in the airport that located in one of the Schengen countries. If the holder has to leave the international transit area and entering the Schengen area due to several reasons, he or she must obtain short stay visa. For several cases, a transit Schengen visa may not be required. It depends on your citizenship and whether you have a residence permit, visa of the certain Schengen country, or kind of passport.