If you have brother and sister living in Europe, you may need Schengen visa for visit brothers and sisters to see them. This is included as the tourist visa under specification of visiting family. You are allowed to stay or reside in the particular area of Schengen country with your brother or sister for maximum 3 months within six months period. However, you must remember that Schengen visa for visit brothers and sisters is issued only for visiting family. If you want to engage in business agenda or something else you must obtain other relevant visas.
Tips for making Schengen visa for visit brothers and sisters
- List the document needed to apply this visa including visa application form, your original passport, and other supporting documents. Hand all of the documents to the embassy. Some countries may use the online application.
- You must have passport that valid for at least three months after the end of your visit. Your passport must be issued within the last ten years.
- You must have valid travel insurance. It should be valid in all of the parts of the Schengen area.
- You must have enough money to cover all of your expenses when visiting your brother and sister. Alternatively, you can ask someone in your family that can give you financial guarantee.
- You must not be subjected to a prohibition against entry to any Schengen countries.
- If you have been staying in the Schengen area for awhile, you have to check how many days left for you to be able visiting your brother and sister. It is because you just only have 3 months maximum to stay in the Schengen area using this visa.
- If you are still under age of 18, the persons who are responsible for you must sign your application as well. For example your parents or another family member.
- Pay for the application fee
- Make sure to read all of the security regulation notices before submitting your visa application.
- After your application has been successfully processed, The embassy or consulate general will issue you a payment receipt with the details of your application reference number.
- Do not forget to collect your passport from the Visa Application Centre, and bringing also your official receipt and a valid ID. In case, if you use a representative to pick up the passport on your behalf, make sure to prepare these following documents:
- Official receipt
- Copy of your valid ID
- Signed the complete details of the authorization letter
- Original valid ID of the representative
How your application will be considered
- When the embassy or consulate process your application. They will consider the situation in your designated country with your own situation and how probable you will return to your home country when the visit is over.
- They will consider if you have anything that ties you to your home country like job, property, a spouse or family members.
- If they believe that you will likely not return to your home country, your application will normally be rejected.
Your possibility of getting a visa
- If you want to visit your sister or brother, you will more likely be granted a visa if you have stronger ties to your home country.
- The older you are, you will get more chance of being granted a visa. The reason is that the older persons will likely return to their home country after the visit is over.
- Other good reasons to visit your brother and sister is attending special family events such as a wedding. You will have a better chance of being granted a visa.
- The processing time to make this visa is approximately 15 working days. However, it can be less or more depending on the individual case. It is better to apply several weeks before intend to go on a journey but not more than 3 months in advance.
Remember, Schengen visa for visit brothers and sisters will require you to submit medical travel insurance. Make sure that the insurance will cover any cost of medical emergency care or emergency hospital treatment. The medical insurance must valid for the entire Schengen area.